This Analog Piezoelectric Ceramic Vibration Module buffers a piezoelectric transducer that responds to strain changes by generating a measurable output voltage change which is proportional with the strength of vibration also known as 'piezoelectric effect'. So you can know the extent of vibration. Different from digital vibration sensor that only accounts times, this analog one can tell extent of vibration.
This vibration sensor is based on piezoelectric ceramic chip analog vibration. It makes use of the anti-conversion process that piezoelectric ceramic vibration will generate the electric signals.
When vibrating the piezoelectric ceramic chip, the sensor’s signal terminal will generate electrical signals.
The sensor can be used with Arduino dedicated sensor shield, and Arduino analog port can perceive weak vibration signals, so that it can make interactive works related to vibration, such as electronic drum.
Connect the vibration sensor to the analog port A0 of Arduino UNO. When vibrating the sensor in different degrees, you will see the different output value displayed on serial monitor.
Advantages of Piezoelectric Sensor
- One of the main advantages of piezoelectric sensors is their ruggedness. This makes them suitable for use in a variety of harsh environments.
- Piezoelectric sensors can be used at high temperatures. They can work up to 1,000ºC.
- They are low-power devices since the output signal is generated by the piezoelectric element itself.
- The sensing element of a piezoelectric sensor is insensitive to electromagnetic interference and radiation.
- Piezoelectric sensors can be easily made using inexpensive materials
Applications of Piezoelectric Sensor
- They can be used in a wide range of industrial and aerospace applications where they’ll be exposed to high temperatures and pressures.
- They are frequently used for measuring dynamic pressure, for example in turbulence, blast, and engine combustion. These all require fast response, ruggedness and a wide range of operations.
- Their sensitivity and low power consumption make them useful for some medical applications.