The TIP122 is a Darlington pair NPN transistor. It functions like a normal NPN transistor, but since it has a Darlington pair inside it has a good collector current rating of about 5A and a gain of about 1000. It can also withstand about 100V across its collector- Emitter hence can be used to drive heavy loads. The Darlington pair inside this transistor is shown clearly as its internal circuit schematic (second picture).
As you can see, there are two transistors inside this TO-220 package in which the emitter of the first transistor is connected with the base of the second transistor and the collector of both transistors are connected together to form a Darlington pair. This increases the current gain and current rating of this transistor.
TIP122n used for Medium Power Linear Switching Applications and Complements to TIP125/126/127.
Features of TIP 122
- Darlington Medium-power NPN Transistor
- High DC Current Gain (hFE), typically 1000
- Continuous Collector current (IC) is 5A
- Collector-Emitter voltage (VCE) is 100 V
- Collector-Base voltage (VCB) is 100V
- Emitter Base Voltage (VBE) is 5V
- Base Current(IB) is 120mA
- Available in To-220 Package
Applications of TIP 122
- Can be used to switch high current (upto 5A) loads
- Can be used as medium Power switches
- Used where high amplification is needed
- Speed control of Motors
- Inverter and other rectifier circuits